Sometimes. The answer to this question depends on your VoIP provider.
- You will want to reach out to your VoIP provider and ask if the SPID can be released on your line. As a disclaimer, if you later decide to leave your current voice provider, see carrier changes.
- You may need to ask to talk to someone in the department that handles SMS/MMS, Text Messaging or Hosted SMS. Clalrify this is only for the texting/SMS portion of the line, all other features of the line should stay as they are.
- The current carrier may need to move or port your line to a different underlying carrier who is able to release the SPID.
- They may provide a confirmation code or an LOA confirming the SPID release. This LOA needs to be sent to our support team who will give it our carrier to facilitate the Hosted SMS set-up.
- If options have been expended and the current carrier is unable to release the SPID, then we are unable to use the VoIP number.
- If they are able to release the SPID, email us at email@example.com once you have received confirmation of release. (We are unable to start the process on our end until the SPID has been released).
Some things to know:
- This will NOT affect the Voice services provided by your current provider. We only use the texting capabilities of the phone number.
- If your Voice provider changes, it will likely interrupt the texting, see this article on carrier changes.
- If your current provider isn't able to release the SPID, but you would still like to use the number we can host the number completely.
- The entire number would be managed by us. You would no longer be a customer of your current provider, for that line.